Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wedneday night ... More mount.

If you read the Monday post you probably don't really need to read the start of this one.

Warmup -> Intro to mount -> Armbars from mount.

I noticed that I'm really good at armbars on my partners right arm and absolutely horrible at doing them the other way. Mental note, practice armbars the other way!

Rear naked chokes, then how to get your opponents back if they roll when you're in mount. More Rear naked chokes. Focused sparring from the back. Fun fun. I'm paired up with Lee again, starting out attacking. Managed to somehow lose the position once, but ended up in mount, so that's not so bad. Re-set and I was working my arm under his chin when he tapped. That's kind of annoying. Heh.

Defending.. He was way way more difficult this time around. I couldn't get my legs out at all, and really had to work to not get choked. I do know that he had his ankles crossed at one stage, but I don't know what to do with that anyway. Points for knowing it's there?

Shoulderlocks from mount. Lee really does have a dodgy shoulder. He got me to try it on that arm and then tapped before I actually did anything. Anyway. Drilling these is kind of fun.

Focused sparring from mount. I elected not to worry too much about submissions the first time - I need practice at staying on mount anyway. Stayed there for a minute, and was getting comfortable enough to try a shoulderlock on the non-dodgy arm before time ran out.

Defending from under mount. Wasn't trying too hard to escape because apparently this is for the guy on top more than the guy on the bottom. Still couldn't help it. Had to try a knee-elbow sort of thing and popped out to half guard. Nothing else of note happened.

We still have time left! Hooray! Another round each from mount. Attacking first.. And Lee gives me his back after about 25 seconds. Couldn't get him finished off but he wasn't getting away anyway.

Defending! No real threat, and I couldn't help but wriggle out once, and 'upa' out the other way once.

I really want to learn guard basics so I can step up and roll about in the big kids class soon...

1 comment:

  1. I always have one side where I can do everything well and one side where it's not so good, too. Sometimes I'll try to drill more on the not-good side since it forces me to think about what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete