Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Shoulderlocks and sweeps..

Class is shrinking back to a more normal size I think. You almost have enough room around on on the mat that you can stretch your arms out to the sides without poking someone in the eye. Or poking someone in the neck as would most likely happen if you're as short as me.

Warmups! No Dale again. It's a John warmup. Running in circles, touching the floor, sprawls and burpees. I do not like sprawls or burpees. Far too much like exercise, and I keep telling people that exercise is definitely bad for you. Hip escapes and switchouts down the mat just like every class.

Intro to the side control escape we did Monday. No Dale. Demonstration dummy of choice this week is a blue belt (in blue gi) called Tim. I'm getting good at this remembering names thing.

Drilling the side control escape, which I'm doing very nicely with not much resistance. Now just have to work out how to make it work when the other guy doesn't want to let me. Lee is the other guy again tonight.

After drilling that for a while we get the 'escape your own guard' demo again. John insists this should be your go-to move when you're on your back and the other guy is in your guard. Really? Ok, if you say so.

Drilling escape your own guard. For all of about 30 seconds before John apparently gets bored with drilling and decides we're going to do it competitively in 1 minute rounds. It's still amusing, especially when you're the top guy and the best way to stay in there is to do roughly everything wrong. Oh well. It's good exercise. By definition that means it's bad for you right?

Breaking posture drill. For about 30 seconds each. Zipping through things tonight.

One minute rounds from side control. Guy on top is allowed to mount and go for submissions. Guy on the bottom has to escape to guard. I started on the bottom. Bridging and onto my side. Around in circles scramble. Somehow end up sitting up with him pretty much on my legs. Ended up pretty much tackling him onto his back from there. Weird, but I'll take it. Re-set and manage to get to something like half guard briefly before we run out of time.

On top. Managing to keep him flat for the most part. Once he got up onto his side while I was trying to nab his top arm for a figure 4 and I scooted around and took his back while has was being confused about what the next step of the escape is. Reset and go again. Ended up with my hips switched over in a position which I don't know what to do with. Fun fun.

Drilling Kimuras just like Monday. Nice tip from John on getting myself more side-on as I roll back to finish, and also on the angle needed for the arm (parallel with his back, not twisting up behind it).

New stuff time. A sweep to do if he decides to be difficult and tuck his arm in / sit back instead of nicely letting us submit him. Let go with the hand that's on his wrist while keeping hold of the overhook. Plant that hand back to post (not on your elbow, all the way up). Bump up with your hip and then over to the side where you have his arm trapped. I don't think we gave it a name.

Drilling the Kimura and the sweep at the same time, one after the other.

Finishing up with one minute rounds from guard, but starting with the bottom guy already holding the Kimura grip. That's genuinely not a good start for the guy on top hey. I'm the guy on top for starters.

Trying to come up with a way to get my arm out, which I wasn't able to do. Always keeping my arm tucked in tight, and alternating between sitting up while he's trying for the Kimura. Got swept right near the end of the round, but I guess that's better than getting tapped.

On the bottom to finish. Immediately went for the Kimura when he gave me a little too much space to work on his arm. He sounded surprised as he tapped. We did just drill this you know, you should be expecting that... He kept his arm tucked nicely after that. Worked for the Kimura again, then when he rocked backwards did the sweep. Well. That's just like magic. It works! Anybody would almost think they teach us those two moves together for a reason!

Good class. Fun. Learning things.

2 comments:

  1. That "escape your own guard" thing is still odd to me...

    That sweep sounds like bump (or sit up) sweep.

    And *snort* at the guy being surprised to see the move from class. The one thing I am always watching for after drilling is the move from class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not only that we just drilled it, I'm also already holding the Kimura grip as we start. I'd have thought that was a clue to maybe try defending it?

    Well I'm not complaining, opportunities to finish a submission against resistance don't come all that often so far in fundamentals!

    You should try escaping your own guard sometime in class. When you're rolling with one of the guys you don't like rolling with maybe. He postures up, you scoot out and run away. I'm sure nobody will look at you like you're weird. Honest!

    ReplyDelete